Installing and configuring the Twilio plugin
Twilio is a cloud-based service that provides applications with the ability to send and receive SMS messages and voice calls. Twilio has two major strengths compared to other SMS gateways:
- TwiML API: The Twilio Markup Language (TwiML) provides a simple yet powerful way to automate the behavior of receiving an SMS message or a scripted phone call.
- Price: You can send and receive SMS messages for 1¢ each. A dedicated phone number is $1/month. With costs this low you can dedicate a phone number to each application. The pricing is pay-as-you-go.
We've created a plugin that acts as a "bridge" for Twilio.com services; meaning, you can set your account information in one place and other plugins can take advantage of it. The plugin will automatically add a 'Send SMS via Twilio' action to Virtual Attendants.
Installing the Twilio plugin
If you've already enabled an SMS plugin you can skip ahead to the Configuring a Virtual Attendant reminder macro section.
- Click Setup to the right of the top navigation menu.
- Hover over the Plugins menu and select Manage Plugins.
- Select the Plugin Library tab and click on the Check for updates button to make sure you have the latest plugin information.
- Type "sms" into the Quick Search text box and press
- Click the Download and install button on the [WGM] Twilio.com Integration plugin.
- Once again, click the Download and install button on the popup to confirm.
- A configuration popup will be displayed when the plugin has been installed. Make sure that Status is set to Enabled and then click the Save Changes button.
Signing up for Twilio
In order to use one of the SMS plugins you will need to have an account with a mobile messaging provider. We like Twilio because their costs are very reasonable (as of January 15th 2012 in USD: 1¢ per text message and $1/month per phone number), and there is no minimum commitment or contract. They also currently provide $30 in free credit to new accounts.
To sign up for Twilio:
- Visit http://www.twilio.com/
- Click on the Try Twilio Free button on the middle of the home page.
- After you finish signing up and log in for the first time, you should see your new API credentials at the top of the Dashboard page.
Configuring the Twilio plugin
You need to configure the Twilio plugin with your API credentials in order to send text messages to mobile phones from Cerb5.
- Click on the Setup link on the right of the top navigation menu.
- Hover over the Plugins menu and select Twilio.
- Enter your Twilio API credentials from their dashboard. You can also select a Default Caller ID number to use if you've configured any phone numbers. You can verify an existing phone number to use for Caller ID (without porting it) from the Numbers page at Twilio.
- Click the Save Changes button.
- Sending scheduled reminders to your mobile phone using Virtual Attendants and Twilio
- Relaying notifications to your mobile phone with Twilio